Jul 16, 2011

The Pack Rat Gene

I have it. I’m not a hoarder or anything (I’ve moved too many times -- if I were a hoarder I would have been lynched by a band of angry movers long ago), but I don’t like to throw things away. Especially if I think they might be useful… someday.

Throwing things away usually involves a long internal debate and my tendency towards pack-rattiness became even more obvious to me last week.

Who has Gmail? And how many of you have used 78% of your allotted storage space? Me! *waves hand wildly*

Clearly, it was time to do something. Probably the fact I had over 37,000 unread threads (yes, you read that right) should have clued me in, but I kept thinking maybe I’d go back and read them. I can hear your derisive, hysterical laughter from here, you know, and I’m hurt ;)

Now, I do my best to read personal and business emails. Most of the unread emails are excerpts and whatnot from various yahoo loops I belong to. My intentions are pure. But I‘m able to read those emails only infrequently.

So, after I submitted edits last week, I started hacking down the weeds. I’m now down to 13,900 unread threads! Woo-hoo! Yes, most of them were deleted unread. But not all. It might take me the rest of the year, but I’d like to be at a point where I have NO unread threads. I’m not sure what that sort of accomplishment will feel like, but I’ll definitely deserve a gold star for my forehead.

KC Burn

3 comments:

David Kentner -- KevaD said...

Oh, great post!
I tend to hang on to emails, too. I'd gotten the total down to 3,000, and then my computer needed repair. The tech hit something that triplicated all my emails, and now I'm having trouble deleting all the copies in case I might need a backup for the email I've ignored for so long...

Kayelle Allen said...

Goodness. That many I wouldn't care what I'd missed. I'd chuck them all. You have a lot more patience than I do!

Right now, there are 24 messages in my inbox, half of which have been read, flagged for follow up, and remarked as unread. The rest are items I have to follow up on. Lots of regular things get shunted straight to their folders (word of the day, moderation notes from my group, vendors, etc.). Once I read them I can delete or leave them where they are.

I'm on digest for many groups, and if I can't get to it, it's history before I go to bed. I try to keep under 25 items in my inbox. My best days there are 5. I've gotten to zero a few times this year, and while I'm sitting there grinning at the page, ten pop up. LOL

I envy your tenaciousness. You go, girl. ^_^

KC Burn said...

Hi DA. Yeah, that's one thing about Gmail. I live in constant fear that those emails will disappear... I don't know how to back them up!

Hey Kayelle - I don't think I'll ever have zero! Zero unread, that I can manage, but I'm guessing I'll still have a ton of emails kicking around :)

Design by: Anne Douglas based on Arsenal by FinalSense